Monday, November 7, 2011

Sk8Fest!

Holy god, am I ever sore...

I haven't been in a bout since August, and haven't done much skating since then either. So after Sk8fest this weekend, I am hurting today.

It's good pain, though – good make-me-walk-all-stiff-at-work-and-make-people-stare-at-me-funny pain.

Let me start with saying I'm actually pretty impressed with the Roll A Dome. Having any sort of year-round skating facility would be a dream come true for my league, even one that's been around so long that my own mother used to skate there when she was a child. That was the most bizarre thing for me – knowing I was roller skating where mom used to roller skate. It's kinda meta.

Plus, you know, the racks of the roller skate equivalent of bowling shoes. I like weird shit like that.

Brown and orange, totally retro.

But I actually liked the floor. It's stickier than the polished concrete I'm used to, but I felt like I could get more speed and not go sliding into the wall or on my face if I did. So that was kinda cool.

The bootcamp was a good length, I thought. Especially since I was still on the tail end of that head cold and probably would have passed out in a corner if it had been any longer. It's hard to breathe through your mouth when you're biting down on a big chunk of plastic.

Team Canada skaters Luludemon and EightMean Wheeler were awesome teachers in the ways of derby. They made a very excellent point when it came to crossovers – I clearly have not been doing them in an efficient manner, which is why my one leg gets so tired. I kinda want to do the endurance skate again and try doing my crossovers the way lulu showed us. Both legs need to work together. This is key!

The bout later that evening saw skaters from Energetic City Roller Derby (duh.), Oil City Derby Girls, Lake City Derby Girls, Gold Pain City Derby Girls and our wonderful hosts, the Rated PG Rollergirls. I think that's all the leagues that were there, anyway. Someone tell me if I missed any, please?

RPGRG used the event to raise money for cancer research, after losing one of their skaters to colon cancer back in the summer. The white team won the right to wear Canadian Cancer Society underpants during the game, which I think was pretty cool. Any time we can give back like this is time well spent.

As a wise man once said, kick cancer in the face with a skate!

The bout was super fun,and super close right up to about the last few jams. There was a nice mix of newbies and experienced players and, at least on the white team, we all got pretty equal playing time. I throughly enjoyed being on lines with several different girls with different skill levels. I mean really, if I can't learn anything from the more experienced players, then what's the point? I even got to be on the first line, lucky me.

Oh! And I finally got to sit in the penalty box! Not once, but twice! Two majors! Heeeee! My mom called me a goon.

Like I said, I like weird shit.

The final score after it was all said and done was 133-173, which made for a pretty awesome game. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ECRDA represents!

After taking a few trips with my derbies, I've come to a few conclusions about roller derby road trips.

1. Be prepared to spend money on stuff you probably don't need, especially of you're going to a city larger than your own that has a real mall.

2. Always make sure you have cash to get swag at the bout. Not every venue will have an ATM and you will want a t-shirt.

3. If you're sharing a hotel room with four girls that all snore, bring earplugs and try to fall asleep first. Heaven help the girl that falls asleep last.

4. You will eat fewer meals than you normally would, so bring some snacks. And water. For love of god, don't get dehydrated!

5. You will increase your Facebook friends list be at least a few names afterwards. And that's cool beans.

So that's all I got to say about that. I leave you with the greatest thing you will ever watch... roller derby ponies!!!!!


Jams and Blocks,
Ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment