Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pop Culture Sunday:

Okay, so I'm a little braindead today after all the derby-ing yesterday, so if this post makes no sense, that's why. Ha!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 opened this weekend. I'd like to say I've seen it and it's effin' amazing, but I have yet to see it as I was a little busy with roller derby.

But, CBC movie reviewer Kathernie Monk gave it five stars out of five, which means it's got to be effin' amazing, cuz I've only seen her give one other movie that high of a score (It was The Social Network, in case you were wondering).

I didn't think much of Harry Potter 10 years ago. I had no idea what it was when one of my early college roommates, an exchange student from Japan, begged me to come see HP and The Philosopher's Stone with her when it came to the theatre.

I really didn't want to since it looked like some dumbass kids movie, plus I had some under-the-influence homework to do, but she swore up and down that it would be great, and with my being all semi-gothy at the time (seriously), I'd like all the magical aspects of it.

The only thing I knew about the series what that the fourth book was friggin' huge and, in my ever-cynical view on the youth of today, I thought there was no way any kid would sit still long enough to finish it.


It was like this thick! But not really.

So after much cajoling, I relented and went to see the first film.

Holy Shit.

Like most of us, I was blown away by the storyand concept. I believe I said something along the lines of 'fuck my classes, I wanna go to Hogwarts!' Philosophy, Psychology and English just weren't as exciting and learning to fly on a broom and transfiguration.

As soon as we got back to the dorm, my roommate handed over the first four books, which she had on hand as they were reading them in her English As A Second Language class. I think I read all four in a week – basically anytime I wasn't in class or drinking wine coolers.

From then on, I became one of those people that get their copy of the newest book on the day it's released (though not oneof those people who dress upand wait around the book store until midnight. I need my rest, people!) and then devours it when they get home.

And then promptly passes out from literary hangovers.


Like this kitty, only with books.


I seriously read the fifth, sixth and seventh book each over two days, and had to take like a four hour nap afterwards. That's a lot of words for the brain to process in 18 hours!

Which actually made the movies that much more enjoyable, since you could just sit back and watch the entire book in two-and-a-half hours. A time saver, really.

But this final movie, after which there will be no moreHarry Potter movies EVER (until someone does a remake of the whole series 20 years from now) has marked the end of an era for many fans of the HP universe. Thankfully, we'll still have the books, the DVDs/BluRays, theme park, interactive website and countless merchandise.... Wow, Harry Potter's not really going anywhere, is he?

I'll likely do another post when I get around to fighting my way through the mob at the theatre to see HPATDH:P2, but for now, I leave you with the greatest HP character of all time:


RIP Hedwig, you were the coolest owl ever.

Peace and Love,
~Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment