Friday, June 8, 2012

Order vs. Chaos


So while I was sitting at my desk today, staring at my computer's screen, the G-chat window lights up and I see my boss over in Dawson Creek sent me a link to a very interesting article.


It was titled Chaos Theory: A Unified Theory of Muppet Types. You can read it yourself here.


The idea is that there are two types of muppets (and in reality, people) out there – the Chaos Muppet and the Order Muppet.


Chaos Muppets are those that are extremely emotional, volatile, and seemingly completely nutz. Examples of the Chaos muppet include Cookie Monster, Grover, Gonzo, Ernie and Animal. 


Order Muppets are those that are neurotic, regimented, and hate surprises. Examples of the Order Muppet include Kermit the Frog, Bert, Sam the Eagle and Scooter.


Now, after reading this article, I promptly posted the link on Facebook and Twitter and asked which one of these people thought I was – the article even says it's better to ask a friend which you are, since it can be hard to look at yourself objectively.


After posting it, Katelin came into my office and told me – without missing a beat –  I'm the sub-category of Faux Chaos Muppet. 
 
Apparently, Faux Chaos Muppets are "chaos on the outside, but with hard, rigid, inflexible caramel centers. Like Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, we sow chaos throughout the land. But like the good doctor, we do so in an effort to better organize the world." Meaning I'm actually an Order Muppet that's masquerading as a Chaos Muppet. I couldn't be a true Chaos Muppet and actually do the job I do – it's too structured and regimented, far too much routine on a daily basis. And yet I have a lot of creative energy and strange thought processes that enable me to do my job very well. So it all evens out.


I liked this theory. It made for a very fun Friday afternoon in the newsroom as we diagnosed everyone in the Editorial department, then the Composing and Front offices before moving onto local political figures, then historical figures and family members.


Apparently no one likes to be called an Order Muppet. James was adamant that he most certainly wasn't one, but after some examples that likened him as being more Bert than Ernie, including the eyebrows, he relented and embraced it. Plus the article states that a person will seek out their muppet opposite, and he said his girlfriend is definitely the Chaos one, which made it easier for him to accept his Order-ness.


Alison on the other hand, after telling her she was an Order Muppet said she demanded a recount and wanted an appeal.


Me: "That's exactly what an Order Muppet would say."


Alison: "Dammit, you're right! Logic wins again!"


Like I said, interesting afternoon.


We determined that both Katelin and Katie were Chaos – the Chaos Kates, we're now calling them. 


Our sister department in Dawson Creek has three Orders and one Chaos. 


I know it's not something to take to heart – it's difficult to lump people into one single category or another as the majority of us have traits and nuances that overlap like a Venn Diagram, but it's an interesting way to think about who we are. It has an existentialist bent that I haven't looked at too closely since my Philosophy 101 days.


I haven't been this jazzed by a subject is ages – I want to discuss and and debate it all over the place... Katelin and I even started trying to decide where other muppets fit in. The Count had us stumped for most of the afternoon; we thought Big Bird was probably Order, but Snuffleupagus was Chaos, since he's a figment of Big Bird's imagination. Snuffy is Big Bird's Chaos side coming out, perhaps? 


Now I wanna dive into where the Fraggles fall into all this.

Order or Chaos, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Cookies are amazeballs.







Manha Manha,
Ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment